Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Babyproof my new home!

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog.

I hope all are well so far, as it is for me! This my friends, have been sitting in my draft post for almost a year, I think! So I better work on this and well share with you guys! Your input would be of great help too! Just leave a comment and allow me 3 days to read and approve ya!

Today we shall touch on baby proofing a home. I have been through baby proofing a house over 5 times. Usually much desired when baby has learnt to roll over right till they are walking all over, with curiosity getting into them every second.

Through all my experience, it being not my own house and it was not our own kid per se, we only did the real basics, like getting those drawer locks, the doorway gate, the corner cushions and such.

You can get those drawer locks at any baby store! And the ones I got are pretty good! 
However, as we age, and us getting our very own house pretty soon, the idea of baby proofing the house right from the start dwell on me. This is probably why I keep telling my husband I want a bare or minimalism concept for our house. I don't wish for some decoration glass cupboard or a pretty corner to place a vase of flowers or anything like that. All I want was everything basics, and that was that.

It only occurred to me about to baby proof our soon-to-be house right from the start even when I haven't conceived because it would be much easier when it calls for it. At least I wont be freaking out to find stuff to cover the sharp corners of everything and having to sell away anything and everything glass because baby is on the way. I guess I rather fuss now than fuss later along with a crying baby in my arms.

So I began to somewhat interview some of my friends, and start asking what they do, and what they would recommend for us to consider while renovating our soon-to-be flat. And here, we shall list it all for people like us who would like to baby proof their flat:

Round up all corners

One of the best tips! A lot of us forget about it and end up buying tonnes of corner cushions that doesn't really keep our worries away.

So ya, tell your contractor to round up all the corners, strictly no sharp corners in the house. This would apply to your new dining table, coffee table and chairs too! Look out for those corners. 

Leaking Gas?

Do I smell gas? Have you found a baby standing and reaching up to those gas knobs? I have! And so someone shared with me what her brilliant contractor did for her gas cooker. He added a switch to allow the gas to flow. If that switch is not turned on, the gas won't be let out to light up the stove. 

This is pretty much about the same with what I have at home, just that we don't have a switch, but it detects somehow that if there is no fire (ie. fire got blown off by wind or we accidentally turn the knob) the gas would automatically gets cut off.

Window Grilles

Yes as much as most BTOs now comes with grilled windows, many forget about the service yard, and aircon ledge windows, which doesn't come with any. Mishaps happen when you least expect them to. So better be safe than sorry.

Doorways/Alleyways

Yup, some of us may get driven away with larger doorways and larger alleyways if possible so you won't be hitting each other when two of you wish to enter the kitchen at the same time.. And then when baby comes, it is so hard to find a child gate lock that is wide enough. ;) Oooppsss..

Don't forget the toilet or wet area too! Make sure the floor mat/rug has an anti slip feature, you wouldn't want to fall head down, and definitely wouldn't want your baby to run and slip.

Feature wall?

Oh don't go overboard with wanting textures and such, because when baby comes, you won't want baby to scrap thru that wall or bang his/her head on it.

Furniture

Yup this is very much a part of your renovation plan. Furniture would complete the whole process, so what shall I look out for furniture?

As per our first point, the sharp corners. Eliminate the designs that has them.

Go away from furniture that are made of glass. You wouldn't want to imagine a baby banging something on the glass table and break it on an unlucky day.

Power Sockets

You know, our old house used to have most, if not all the power sockets, at an adult height, but the new house seemed to have lowered them to almost ground level. So be aware, parents of young kids, get those power socket covers and keep them grounded. I don't have much of a solution yet, so if you do, please let me know.

Keep taking down notes, and don't forget to share with me!

Have a great Friday everyone!

With love,
Jun

Wassalam


No comments: