Disclaimer

My Blog (njunaidah.blogspot.com) is purely based on self opinion and thoughts and does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information's, content or advertisements contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information's or any other material displayed,purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an advertisement or any other information's or offer in or in connection with the services herein.

Monday, October 30, 2017

10 of 12 months of 2017

Assalammu'alaikum family, friends, readers and followers of this blog. How has October treated you? Mine has been good, alhamdulillah!

Beginning of October was busy completing my biggest single order in history for Sewbasic : 15 heart-shape zipper pouch, 15 cute animal cordkeepers and 18 names embroided on square snaptags!

10 broken needles later, the final handover batch is so perfect it made all my struggle and hardwork well worth it!



It felt so good to see the person squeal in excitement as she receive them! I am sure the people she is gifting them to would appreciate them as well.. 

Remember Teachers' Day last month? I made a small gift for Baby M's 4 teachers, well she returned on Childrens' Day eve with 3 bags full of gifts from teachers! So many! And I realize she has more than just 4 teachers la.. Teacher Lin, Teacher Dina, Teacher Nina, Teacher Yati, Ding Laoshi, Ustazah Liyana, Mdm Nor, so many! I dunno who else.. How do one actually find out all of their children's teachers' name?? 

That aside, we participated in a 3km walk that weekend, and took the chance to sew Baby M her long awaited shorts! Since my cutter had done the cutting for me, I really have no further excuse to not do it.. so I did...



I did the Sycamore Shorts and lengthened its length by 5" to make it a little more modest. It is so easy to spot her from far with such a unique shorts on. 

Some pictures I took of the event:



We took part of the the 10K steps challenge thingy, so had to collect our device.. spend an hour in queue.. 


I had a HSG test scheduled the following day.. 9th October 2017.. 


Nervous as hell, doesnt help that 2 person ahead of me had complication and took longer than scheduled (both men, so must be a different procedure la). So my 12nn appointment got pushed all the way back to 3.30pm or so. So I bought myself a sandwich from the vending machine, because I am so lazy to get changed and try enjoy every bite while waiting.


I texted my boss and he gladly allow me to come back on Friday morning to make up for this half day. I am so blessed to have such a kind and understanding boss, really! 

So my turn came to lie on the table.. I found out my tubes were blocked, and I wont know the next course of action until my appointment with my Gynae in November. And because I know I will overthink about it, I look out for pattern testing to apply and I was also in dire need to murder all my stash so I can start my purposeful hoarding instead of keep it for I don't know what kindda stash, and that I saw and did! And thankfully, I got accepted to be one of the tester! How nice!

I initially doubted as I see a lot of testers having to size down, to my measurement I am Sz0, so I wont have a base to size down if it is really required. So i waited for a bit, asked and decided to just do a straight Sz0 with zero modifications. I like how she create the hood, I will probably use this technique for all the hoodies I have hereon. And I finally figured how the fake layered sleeves were constructed. So cool! I like the way she does her instructions too. I wrote more about it here!

I sew up Baby M's saree for the Deepavali Celebrations in school on 17th, but her mom found her real saree, so maybe my intentions won't go as planned. It's okay la. Whatever. I am a bit upset. But I guess I can always dress her up with my self-sewn saree on some forced open house, maybe invite myself to my bff's house. I don't mind!

Here's what I sew for her! Her reaction is a little too much, I tell you!

She asked to wear it again the next day, and the next day and the next day, but of course I didnt allow it. :p And I sort of regretted it when her mom text me to make me don her in her saree instead of this. Oh wells.


Also, this Baby M now demands to be called Kakak. So Kakak la. May her prayers come true!

We had my brother, his wife and my mom's second cousin over at my crib that weekend.. And my brother is a splitting image of my Bapak. His voice, his gestures as he tell familiar stories, the way he holds his kain pelikat, the way he mumbles as he sit to watch us (baby M particularly). Really doesn't help that Baby M refuse to call him Obek but insisted in calling him Atok instead.



Speaking of Baby M, as a kakak, she now insisted in carrying her own bag. Too cute la.


Oh, my mom loves the fit of the Boxerwear I made her. Yeay! I can probably utilize all the cotton lycra in my stash for that now.

So on Tuesday, 17th October, for the Deepavali Celebration at her school, she wore the saree her mom bought last yr. Not her fit but probably worth just one more wear. She looked way too adorable!

The Indian blood in her is so strong! She instantly knew how to hold the saree and stand.

As we ended our holiday, and was getting ready for work, my husband received a call to say his mom had fallen in the toilet and had to be rushed to the hospital. I had to go to work as my office will have an audit tomorrow and I had to do all the filings (which Engineers had conveniently kept unfiled for a year!).

I decided to work on the patterns I got from One Thimble Issue 14 - the Amuse Boho & the Trillium Maxi Dress and Tunic this week. In which I discovered a missing step in the latter. I reach out via the One Thimble grp and got in touch with the designer. I highly encourage everyone to do that really. Things can get overlooked even after world tours, really. I mean, we are human, aren't we?

Sometimes, even as a tester (speaking of myself), we get too excited, and overlook the instructions because we are so focused on fit issues, or stuff like that. Trust me, it happens! Even with the Alexis I didn't realize one step was to be interchanged, until someone highlighted it. I followed it through, I really thought I had paid attention to the instructions, but yet, I missed it. So ya I trust the designer when she said I am the first to flag this missing step. So happy to help more than anything.

Just be nice, be human. Talk and reach out to the people behind it before leaving a bad review of any kind. Really. It could be a really genuine mistake. Here's what my muslins of the two looked like, I haven't got time yet to make them in the intended good fabric, but these are made to wear out already. I love them despite the many mistakes, after all I haven't sewn woven in a long long time, and had forgotten some basics. I mean it, these skills require practice, and when you don't you will get those skills rusting and in need for a good polish.

The Trillium, I am horrible with curved hem for wovens. So for the actual one, I think I will stick with a maxi option. 

The Amuse Boho - it is actually quite a breeze to put together despite the fancy detail at the front yoke! 

Close up of the Trillium - of course I used snap buttons, I will no way do a nice button hole.. 

Me in the Amuse Boho, of course I fell in love with it! Roomy for some bottomless buffet!
We went to my BFF's house that weekend just because we want to. It has been a long time since we met and we just had to! Baby M confidently call her Aunty Deepavali and we had a good laugh abt it. Jojo (my bff's dog) had grown old, but still as excited as a puppy! Naughty one indeed!

Aunty liked Baby M so much, she told my bff to get her a suit when she visit India. Haha.. So happy to know that Baby M is loved wherever she goes..

I was sure I had planned to make something as a farewell gift for my colleagues the moment I knew they are leaving... but today is his last day, and I had nothing made..

We did go for a farewell lunch though..

We went to Eighteen Chefs at Star Vista. The Salted Egg Pasta is yummy!!!

Back on the farewell gift, I guess I'll have to gift it if he is ever coming back to Sg to visit with his family. We only spoke a lot of personal level on his last few days in the company, he has been doing a lot of charity community work back in his village, providing monetary support and the likes to the villagers who have lost their homes to the recent flood, bought uniforms for the students in the school (as the children had lost homes and no real clothes to put on, much less books and the likes), he said it is just 1000 rupees.

He added, "very little for us here, but it means the world to them, the smile they give me is nothing money can buy." I agreed. For someone who had lost their homes and everything they ever own, $1 will make a difference.

For that I asked for his FB so we could stay in touch, who knows I can contribute in his next big charity drive. Who knows I could be of some help, who knows I might want to visit Bangladesh and contribute something there? Who knows what opportunities the future will bring us?

Ah, the final leg of October... I haven't run/cycled for 2 weeks, I am beginning to feel lousy again. I am turning a year older soon too.

I tried another free pattern, this time from George & Ginger - the Lovesick Bralette. I love how easy and quick it comes together, and I can surely make use of good remnants too!

I got a few small orders in between.. A name tag for a school going boy, his mom couldnt decide which shape to go for, so I casually suggested getting both. And she said ok.. Nice customer this one! A keeper, definitely!

Name Tags are always very practical and useful!

Also had an order for mini tissue pouch.. But this one I made didn't impress her, so I need to recall how I did my first one and deliver that. So take note, guys.. Keep the pattern drafted and keep it. You never know which prototype will be in demand, really.

So I made this, and will probably sell it as is.

I added two D rings so the free end strap with hook can hook on either. 
Keen? You know where to find me, yes?

Oh Friday was spent at the hospital with my mom's appointment back to back, the thing that looked like bone mass behind her knees are found to be the gout crystals accumulated and just happen to stay there. Since mom can tolerate what she call "regular" pain, the doctor said there is no need for any surgery, however, if at any time before the next review, she finds it painful and unbearable, she can swing by to do it. I wonder what can help loosen those crystals and get them out of the system. Any ideas?

So.. tomorrow will be the last day of October, I don't really have anything major happening, so I guess this will be it for October. Time to prepare for the many birthdays coming up in November!

Until the next monthly summary,
Jun

Wassalam.

No comments: